Logging, blocking messages and modifying subject lines

From: Bjarni R. Einarsson (
Date: Thu 02 Sep 2004 - 15:48:31 GMT

    (I'm replying to the list, because these are common questions)

    On 2004-09-02, 07:35:18 (-0700) someone wrote:
    > Is there a way to have an admin log that identifies the
    > to/from/attachment name and why it was quarantined?
    > Is there a way to block the entire email rather than just stripping out
    > the attachment? (essentially so we can review and forward on later)
    > Is there a way to modify the subject line if something has been stripped
    > out? Such as: adding Sanitized: before or after the original subject
    > line.

    Short answer: yes, if you know how to program.
    Long answer:

    How depends so much on which MTA/OS/... you are using, that I have
    no way to tell you how to do it and these features will not be added
    directly to the Anomy Sanitizer for that reason. Anomy is MTA
    independant and due to it's design it cannot itself do any of the
    above things on it's own.

    The commercial F-Prot Antivirus for Mailservers product includes
    Anomy and will have some of these features built into future
    releases (blocking massmailers and possibly modifying the subject
    line, not sure about the logging, but I can pass the suggestion on
    to my coworkers).

    If you can't wait or don't want to pay for a commercial product,
    then you'll have to code the stuff yourself. I'd suggest using
    Anomy's "send detailed XML-like logs to STDERR" feature
    (feat_log_stderr and feat_log_xml) to instruct whatever wrapper you
    end up writing to implement things.

    Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson

    PGP: 02764305, B7A3AB89

    hosted by