anomy-list

Re: Virus Scan Thoughts

From: Samuel (126696@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Sat 22 May 2004 - 12:52:29 GMT

    My issue with adding a unique code to the save and drop, is that I also
    drop certain types of attachments and want to alert the user that those
    attachments are prohibited. Right now, I see no way to add an indicator
    to the message or have a seperate virus specific message that could be
    looked for via procmail when it is a virus.

    Samuel

    Mark Janssen wrote:

    > Samuel wrote:
    >
    >> I know an idea was brought up about doing a header info, and it was
    >> shown that you can not do that in a stream, however, it would be nice
    >> if data returned from the virus scanning script could be embedded in a
    >> message (add a few more variables that are parsed).
    >>
    >> My thought is things like the anomy-filescan-result data. This way the
    >> virus found could be inserted, and if someone wished, a unique code
    >> could be done to allow easier parsing, without messing up a normal
    >> drop message.
    >>
    >> Another thought is to add a VIRUS message type, functions as a drop
    >> but with virus specific as attachments can be dropped for other
    >> reasons (just not valid types, not always a virus).
    >>
    >> Samuel
    >>

    > What I did was adding a unique code to the msg_file_save and
    > msg_file_drop messages. This code is then seen by procmail, and procmail
    > then trashes the emails (I use it because some of my users get mass
    > mailed by virii).
    > I must say adding a header with the virus name is a nice idea (even
    > including the virus name in the msg_file_* messages would be good). The
    > header might be a problem because of Anomy's structure but I think
    > placing the virusscan output in msg_file_* could be done without too
    > many problems.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Mark Janssen
    > http://www.givemehelp.co.uk/