anomy-list

Re: Virus Scan Thoughts

From: Mark Janssen (126612@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Sat 22 May 2004 - 10:01:12 GMT

    Samuel wrote:

    > I know an idea was brought up about doing a header info, and it was
    > shown that you can not do that in a stream, however, it would be nice if
    > data returned from the virus scanning script could be embedded in a
    > message (add a few more variables that are parsed).
    >
    > My thought is things like the anomy-filescan-result data. This way the
    > virus found could be inserted, and if someone wished, a unique code
    > could be done to allow easier parsing, without messing up a normal drop
    > message.
    >
    > Another thought is to add a VIRUS message type, functions as a drop but
    > with virus specific as attachments can be dropped for other reasons
    > (just not valid types, not always a virus).
    >
    > Samuel

    What I did was adding a unique code to the msg_file_save and
    msg_file_drop messages. This code is then seen by procmail, and procmail
    then trashes the emails (I use it because some of my users get mass
    mailed by virii).
    I must say adding a header with the virus name is a nice idea (even
    including the virus name in the msg_file_* messages would be good). The
    header might be a problem because of Anomy's structure but I think
    placing the virusscan output in msg_file_* could be done without too
    many problems.

    Regards,
    Mark Janssen
    http://www.givemehelp.co.uk/