anomy-list

Re: undefined value as a symbol error in Sanitizer.pm

From: 105573@xyz.molar.is
Date: Wed 17 Dec 2003 - 10:34:32 GMT

    This is probably caused by an incompatible version of perl. The following
    was published earlier on the list:

    IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT UNICODE/UTF8
    ---------------------------------

    Recent versions of Perl (e.g. those distributed with RedHat 8 and
    RedHat 9) include native support for Unicode, including UTF-8
    encoded strings and input files.

    This has changed the default semantics of many operations used by
    the Anomy Sanitizer and may also effect how the Anomy source files
    themselves (which contain 8-bit characters) are interpreted by Perl.

    In order to avoid this behavior, it's necessary to modify the "LANG"
    environment variable before running the Sanitizer. It is also
    recommended that the "LC_ALL" variable be explicitly set as well.

    In bash syntax, the modification should be as follows:

      export LC_ALL=C
      export LANG=en_US

    From within a procmailrc file, the following lines should suffice:

      LC_ALL=C
      LANG=en_US

    BTW RedHat are ceasing support in 2004 & seeking to migrate everyone on to
    Enterprise ($15/m min)or Fedora (unstable). Are you wise to commit to RH at
    this stage? Many server cos are recommending FreeBSD.

    Oliver Tickell.