anomy-list

Re: Re: swen virus

From: Systems Administrator (95485@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Mon 06 Oct 2003 - 00:46:04 GMT

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Brent Kennedy wrote:

    > Keep in mind, if you ARE at an ISP, why should you care about users
    > getting malware type emails? You can(with postfix) have filtering on
    > your emails and no one elses. Although, if i am not mistaken, if you
    > use procmail, you could set this up as completely optional per each
    > user. Here is where you run into "what kind of users you have".

            Here's a few good reasons why an ISP might have server filtering
    of some kind:
    1. Viruses cost us money in terms of support calls
            ("Hi, my Internet doesn't work").
    2. Spam filtering keeps customers, and doesn't have the
            administrative costs of them changing their e-mail address every
            once in a while
    3. All of us ISP employees are sick of receiving viruses from
            customers (happens to me on a daily basis -- haven't gotten all
            the filtering 100% implemented yet), and if we're doing it for
            ourselves, we might as well do it for the customers.
    4. For outgoing mail, to save on bandwidth costs

    --
    Tim Nelson
    Systems Administrator

    hosted by molar.is