Re: Re: swen virus

From: Systems Administrator (
Date: Mon 06 Oct 2003 - 00:46:04 GMT

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Brent Kennedy wrote:

    > Keep in mind, if you ARE at an ISP, why should you care about users
    > getting malware type emails? You can(with postfix) have filtering on
    > your emails and no one elses. Although, if i am not mistaken, if you
    > use procmail, you could set this up as completely optional per each
    > user. Here is where you run into "what kind of users you have".

            Here's a few good reasons why an ISP might have server filtering
    of some kind:
    1. Viruses cost us money in terms of support calls
            ("Hi, my Internet doesn't work").
    2. Spam filtering keeps customers, and doesn't have the
            administrative costs of them changing their e-mail address every
            once in a while
    3. All of us ISP employees are sick of receiving viruses from
            customers (happens to me on a daily basis -- haven't gotten all
            the filtering 100% implemented yet), and if we're doing it for
            ourselves, we might as well do it for the customers.
    4. For outgoing mail, to save on bandwidth costs

    Tim Nelson
    Systems Administrator
    Sunet Internet
    Tel: +61 3 5241 1155