anomy-list

Re: tnef2mulitpart.pl and winmail.dat and HELL

From: Derrick Webber (85836@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Thu 19 Jun 2003 - 23:21:57 GMT

  • Next message: Brian Dube: "Re: Regular exp."

    At 02:13 PM 19/06/2003, Jackson, Jeff wrote:
    >[snippage]
    >So, my attempt to setup tnef2multipart.pl following the defaults failed.
    >My problem lied in the default location. The example shows:
    >
    >file_list_2_scanner = 0:::/usr/local/anomy/tnef2multipart.pl %FILENAME
    >
    >But, when I try tried to run a test winmail.dat file (I ran
    >"./tnef2multipartlpl winmail.dat"), I'd get the following error:
    >
    >Can't locate Anomy/Sanitizer.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
    >/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i38
    >6-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
    >/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-li
    >nux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
    >/usr/li
    >b/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
    >/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8
    >.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl . /bin) at /usr/local/anomy/bin/sanitizer.pl
    >line
    >45.
    >BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/anomy/bin/sanitizer.pl
    >line 45.
    >Broken pipe

    Sorry to hear you went through hell ;-)

    Anomy Sanitizer needs the shell environment variable $ANOMY set to the
    Anomy install directory. Just use "export ANOMY" in the calling shell
    script to make sure subscripts can see it.

    Since it seems a few people have had this trouble, we've updated
    tnef2multipart to explicitly define the ANOMY environment variable from
    Perl. tnef2multipart.pl version 0.03 is now available from our web site at
    http://advosys.ca/papers/filter-misc/tnef2multipart.pl

    This version also cleans up the MIME headers a bit.

    >...
    >But, that leads me to my question. Should the contents of the winmail.dat
    >really be in an ".msg" attachment, or should they have been directly
    >attached to the original message?

    If it's showing up as a .msg file, the decoded TNEF attachments are
    probably being attached as MIME type "message/rfc822". Last month someone
    here posted a patch to tnef2multipart that did that.

    The original script from our web site uses MIME type "multpart/mixed". In
    most mail clients, that causes files to show up as discrete attachments.We
    tested Mozilla mail, Netscape 7, Eudora, Kmail, Mutt and Squirrelmail...
    all seem to behave as expected.

    However, it's the mail client that decides how to display MIME sections.
    Generally, what works in the above works in most other mail clients (MS
    Outlook excluded, of course ;-) but no doubt there are clients that work
    differently.

    --
      Derrick Webber  85836@xyz.molar.is
      Advosys Consulting Inc. Ottawa
      http://advosys.ca/
      -- 
    



    hosted by molar.is