anomy-list and winmail.dat and HELL

From: Jackson, Jeff (
Date: Thu 19 Jun 2003 - 18:13:28 GMT

    Well, I've been taking flack from my users because they are, from time to time, getting a "winmail.dat" attachment.

    So, I decided it was about time to implement to start handling the winmail.dat files better. It hasn't been a smooth road to get it running, so I thought I'd offer up my problems and solutions, and then finally, I have a question...

    So, in the script, it shows you it's usage in anomy.conf. When I implemented that, the winmail.dat file would just become a "defanged-nnn.txt" file. It's contents were always:

    NOTE: An attachment named winmail.dat was deleted from this message because it contained a windows executable or other potentially dangerous file type.
    Contact the system administrator for more information. *****

    So, my attempt to setup following the defaults failed. My problem lied in the default location. The example shows:

    file_list_2_scanner = 0:::/usr/local/anomy/ %FILENAME

    But, when I try tried to run a test winmail.dat file (I ran "./tnef2multipartlpl winmail.dat"), I'd get the following error:

    Can't locate Anomy/ in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i38
    6-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-li
    nux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/li
    b/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8
    .0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl . /bin) at /usr/local/anomy/bin/ line
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/anomy/bin/ line 45.
    Broken pipe

    So, I either had to move (symbolically link) the Anomy directory, or move I choose to moved the pl file from /usr/local/anomy to /usr/local/anomy/bin and changed my anomy.conf line to read:

    file_list_2_scanner = 0:::/usr/local/anomy/bin/ %FILENAME

    Once I did that, things started working better and now I'm getting an attachment titled "unititled attachment.msg" and it actually does contain the contents of the winmail.dat file. So, I'm fairly pleased with the results of my implementation.

    But, that leads me to my question. Should the contents of the winmail.dat really be in an ".msg" attachment, or should they have been directly attached to the original message?

    Jeff Jackson
    R.B. Zack & Associates, Inc.

    (Whatever is said in Latin appears profound)

    The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

    hosted by