anomy-list

Re: Attachment issue

From: Rick Johnson (82311@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Wed 04 Jun 2003 - 23:36:44 GMT

    On 6/4/2003 4:19 PM, Scott Renda wrote:
    > Rolled out Postifx/Courier IMAP/maildrop server last week. Using Advosys
    > Anomy/Spamassassin/Pyzor combo.
    >
    > My problem: I have an internal recruiter who is getting emails stripped.
    > The emails are submitted from monster.com using the apply now button on the
    > job description page. What happens is the mail comes through, but the part
    > where the resume should be listed is cut off. I verified this problem
    > didn't exist with our old mail server. Looking at header [see below]:

    [...]

    > file_list_1_policy = save
    > file_list_1_scanner = 0
    > file_list_1 = (?i)
    > file_list_1 += (\.(exe|com|vb[es]|dll|ocx|cmd|bat|pif|lnk|ms[ip]|reg|sct|inf
    > file_list_1 +=
    > |asd|cab|c(om|hm)|sh[sb]|scr|cpl|chm|wsh|hta|vcd|vcf|eml|nws))$
    >
    > file_list_2_policy = accept
    > file_list_2_scanner = 0
    > file_list_2 = (?i)(winmail\.dat)|

    [...]

    Attached emails are typically ".eml" files. I see in file list 1, you're
    saving those types of files to your /var/spool/filter area. Are your
    recruiter's messages ending up in /var/spool/filter?

    Also noted that you're plainly accepting winmail.dat. This can be bad in
    some cases w/o a good virus scanner in place since they can carry specific
    Outlook macro viruses or other buried attachments. I'd consider implementing
    the tnef converter supplied with recent Anomy releases.

    Rgds,
    -Rick

    --
    Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - 82311@xyz.molar.is
    Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc.