anomy-list

Re: Re: Palyh, *.pi files, and windows

From: 81370@xyz.molar.is
Date: Thu 22 May 2003 - 07:09:39 GMT

    On Wed, 21 May 2003, Will Day wrote:

    BIG-SNIP

    > There also seems to be some confusion whether ".pi" files are executable in
    > the same fashion as ".pif" files are. For instance:
    >
    > http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-1007603.html
    >
    > Although the file has a .pi or .pif extension, it is an .exe file. And
    > because Windows processes files according to their internal structure
    > rather than their extension, Windows runs the file as soon as the
    > recipient double-clicks on it.
    >
    > This doesn't match any of my experience with Windows, and I have been
    > unable to get windows to launch a ".pi" file for me.

    AFAIR (DOS) did start files with special extensions. the extensions
     were listed in COMMAND.COM (and one could change it with a binary editor).

    if a com is started and dos notices it is a exe it will load it as an exe.
    it seams as if windows extends this to pif and several other.

    --
     BINGO: Projektstatusbericht
     --- Engelbert Gruber -------+

    hosted by molar.is