anomy-list

Re: Anomy won't run on Redhat 9, Perl 5.8

From: 79667@xyz.molar.is
Date: Fri 16 May 2003 - 07:30:49 GMT

       I know that this has been discussed here before, and the issues are
       caused by the same character set issues that cause compiles to fail on
       SpamAssassin, et al.
       It seems specific to Perl 5.8.0 and RH 9 for now.

       For a fix, you could "export LANG=en_US" before trying the tests, or
       better, edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n to look like:

       LANG="en_US"
       SUPPORTED="en_US:en"
       SYSFONT="lat0-sun16"
       SYSFONTACM="iso01"

       for a more permanent solution.

       YMMV, but once I got rid of all of that utf8 stuff, all of my perl
       problems with RH9 disappeared.

       Anyway, this is not my solution, I just got it off google groups, but
       I cannot find the particular thread where I first saw this answer (its
       in many though).
       You will note that this will also make CPAN work again. Without this
       fix, "install Bundle::CPAN" will fail on compile, as well as Net::CMD,
       Mail::SpamAssassin, and Digest::MD5, although surprisingly,
       Digest::SHA1 compiled just fine before I found out this fix.