anomy-list

Re: Problem running Anomy on RedHat version8 with latest Perl modules from CPAN

From: Robert de Bath (robert$@mayday.cix.co.uk)
Date: Sun 23 Feb 2003 - 08:46:29 GMT

    On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Tom Webb wrote:

    > Hi Everyone
    >
    > I have run into a problem running Anomy on our new RedHat 8 gateway.
    >
    > When I run the tests all pass except for the following:
    >
    > sanitizer.defaults
    > sanitizer.filenames
    >
    > Looking at resulting logs for both tests above, they come up with the same
    > error/results:
    >
    > Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected continuation byte 0xa1, with no
    > preceding start byte) in regexp compilation at ../bin/Anomy/Sanitizer.pm
    > line 1482.
    >
    > I have noted in searching the web that lastest Perl 5.8.0 and greater has
    > broken some functionally in Perl based programs but am at a lost to fix this
    > problem. I would dearly love to get this going properly. Can anyone suggest
    > a fix?

    I would guess this is because the latest Redhat uses a UTF-8 locale for
    it's default, whereas that line and line 2221 in anomy are assuming one
    of the ISO-8859-x character sets. A quick 'solution' would be to run
    Amony under a normal locale:

    $ export LANG=en_GB.ISO-8859-1
    $ locale
    LANG=en_GB.ISO-8859-1