anomy-list

Re: The dreaded <DIV> tag ????

From: Bjarni R. Einarsson (68498@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Thu 23 Jan 2003 - 00:10:05 GMT

    On 2003-01-22, 12:51:38 (-0500), Benjamin M Wall wrote:
    > HEllo all,
    >
    > I am not subscribed to the list so please reply to me directly.
    >
    > Can someone give me a reason why the <DIV> tag is `defanged' from HTML
    > email. I know that HTML mail is bad, I know that it sucks, but the <DIV> tag
    > has been around since HTML 3.0 so why is anomy stripping it?

    This is actually a workaround to avoid a display bug with Eudora mail
    clients, when the CSS-styles are defanged. Eudora would for some odd
    reason make semi-random parts of the message simply disappear.

    This was easily reproduced, since alot of Outlook 2000 clients would
    send messages triggering this behavior.

    Defanging the DIV tags made the problem go away, and since it didn't
    cause much other damage (AFAIK) that is now the default behavior.

     68498@xyz.molar.is                -><-              http://bre.klaki.net/

    Check out my open-source email sanitizer: http://mailtools.anomy.net/ Spammers, please send lots of mail to: 68620@xyz.molar.is

    Was I helpful? Let others know: http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=Juggler

    hosted by molar.is