anomy-list

"Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference" problem resolved.

From: Rolan Yang (67905@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Tue 21 Jan 2003 - 15:31:33 GMT

    I encountered a problem with anomy would attempt to filter
    out worms and virii from emails. The error on the logs were:

    Jan 21 10:01:40 mail postfix/pipe[22435]: 11E4FA9A012:
    to=<68043@xyz.molar.is>, orig_to=<68078@xyz.molar.is>, relay=maildrop,
    delay=0, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: Can't use
    an undefined value as a symbol reference at
    /usr/local/anomy/bin/Anomy/Sanitizer.pm line 1038. maildrop: error
    writing to filter. /usr/local/bin/maildrop: Unable to filter message. )

    the error is not very descriptive, but after playing around I was able to
    replicate the error when running the command below (NOT as root)

    cat virusmsg | ./bin/sanitizer.pl anomy.conf..
    ...blablaba...
    Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at
    /usr/local/anomy/bin/Anomy/Sanitizer.pm line 1038.

    most likely a permissions problem..

    As it turns out.. that was the issue.

    anomy did not have permissions to save the attachment to the
    /var/quarantine directory

    A quick fix was to first "chmod 777 /var/quarantine", send the virus
    through the mail server,
    then observe the owner of the quarantined file (in my case postfix).
    Then change the ownership
    of the directory to that user, and finally clean up permissions for the
    directory (chmod 750??).

    ~Rolan

    hosted by molar.is