anomy-list

Re: Re: unable to unpack 1.55 tar.gz

From: Robert de Bath (robert$@mayday.cix.co.uk)
Date: Wed 23 Oct 2002 - 07:06:56 GMT

    On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Bjarni R. Einarsson wrote:

    > On 2002-10-22, 13:04:58 (+0100), Oliver wrote:
    > > Hi, I just tried to unpack the 1.55 tar.gz as downloaded:
    > > http://mailtools.anomy.net/dist/anomy-sanitizer-1.55.tar.gz
    > >
    > > Because it only seems to be available as http:// I downloaded to my local
    > > computer, then ftp'ed (as binary) to the server. But it would not unpack...
    > > see dialog below.
    > >
    > > have I done something wrong, or is there a problem with the package? BTW
    > > have previously installed 1.54 without difficulty (though it is not present
    > > on the server after a clean wipe).

    > > gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
    > > gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error

    > This is the first report I've heard of such problems - I would venture
    > that the file got corrupted somewhere on the way and you should simply
    > try again.

    The gzip lines mean that the file has _definitly_ been corrupted
    somewhere. The 'gzip' file format contains a cyclic redundancy check
    that means it's _very_ likely to detect any accidental corruption.

    As I've successfully downloaded the file the usual suspects after an ascii
    ftp transfer are some web browsers (eg MSIE) that commonly corrupt gzip
    files by doing ascii translations on them and occasionally 'pollitical
    filtering' web proxies.

    There are lots of url downloaders for tty sessions, including:
       lynx: http://lynx.browser.org
       snarf: http://www.xach.com/snarf/
       wget: http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/wget.html
       lftp: http://lftp.yar.ru/