I have just started using Anomy and am finding it is attaching long logs
of changes to HTML messages when those messages are not, as far as I
know, a problem for me.
Other than the occasional HTML spam which has an HTML refresh command,
which causes my Netscape 4.77 Messenger to cause a browser page to
access the spammers web site, I don't have any trouble with HTML
because I don't use MS Outlook (Express) or Eudora or any such mail
client which relies on MSIE to render HTML emails.
I am not sure if Anomy gets rid of such refresh commands as:
<HTML><p><head><p><META HTTP-EQUIV=3DRefresh CONTENT=3D"02;
I suppose I could be getting web bugs in HTML emails, but I am not
So I would be happy to use Anomy just for detecting virus emails - by
searching for any attached file which looks executable and then by
"dropping" it, which involves shortening it greatly and adding a
distinctive message which my Maildrop filtering can then find, to turf
the thing into the virus pit, whilst also sending a copy of it, tagged
for deletion and with "[VIRIII] added to the Subject line, to the Inbox.
I will be updating this page in the next few days after some experience
with the new setup, and to include improvements suggested by
Advosys.ca. Also, I want to investigate and note something I wrote to
the bugs list about: what to the (potentially dumb) user seems to be
Anomy failing to recognise file names with spaces as being executable.
Maybe the resulting file really isn't executable, but the message is
still a 130 k virus file and it would be nice to automatically detect