Re: Bad documentation of Sanitizer.

From: Bjarni R. Einarsson (
Date: Fri 04 Oct 2002 - 11:36:08 GMT

    On 2002-10-03, 16:38:45 (+0000), Romek wrote:
    > Hi list members,
    > I had troubles with new Sanitizer 1.54 - my previous installed
    > version was 1.44. I dropped vesrion 1.45 because of the same
    > problem.
    > Recipients of sanitized messages got only part of the headers.

    This is probably deliberate - the sanitizer is rewriting the headers to
    try and ensure that they have known security properties. Certain unknown
    MIME headers (Content-*) may be dropped since their security properties
    are completely unknown (not mentioned in RFCs or handled by the

    > After some testing it turned out that html documentation lacks
    > some vital information.
    > In Section
    > Requirements
    > The Anomy sanitizer is developed on a RedHat Linux system running Perl
    > 5.005_03. Any newer version of Perl on a Unix platform should work fine.
    > The sanitizer has very modest module requirements, and only needs the
    > following Perl modules to be present on your system:
    > MIME::Base64
    > MIME::QuotedPrint
    > which is not true: one need LWP::Simple and HTTP::Status

    You only need these if you are using the F-Prot Antivirus daemon version,
    and should only be activated if you pass the -fprotd flag.
    If they are required in other circumstances, then I made a mistake in the
    code which I need to fix.

    Could you verify whether this is the case or not?

    You are correct that the manual has lagged a bit behind the code
    development - I just haven't had time to update it. Any
    volunteers want to help?

    > Bjarni while developing sanitizer does not remember which modules
    > he is using and non developer probably has not these files in the
    > system.

    No, I was well aware of this... I just forgot to document it. :-/

    Bjarni R. Einarsson                           PGP: 02764305, B7A3AB89                -><-

    Check out my open-source email sanitizer: Spammers, please send plenty of email to:

    hosted by