anomy-list

Re: Converting word docs to pdf

From: Bjarni R. Einarsson (41479@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Fri 19 Apr 2002 - 16:08:08 UTC

    On 2002-04-19, 18:36:15 (+0300), Sampo Nurmentaus wrote:

    > Yes, that would be possible, but
    > how to put those attachments back into mail?
    >
    > So that when a basic user receives mail, he/she does
    > not even have to know about the conversion going on.
    >
    > > Could you 'quarantine' all of your DOC extension files and then have the
    > > procmail script fire off the Word2PDF conversion utility?

    Anomy can crudely convert from one fileformat to another: virus
    scanners can "convert" an infected file to a disinfected one. :-)

    So just configure this Word2PDF tool like you would an antivirus
    tool, matching only .DOC files. The only major problem with this
    approach, is Anomy currently doesn't give the converter a chance to
    change the name of the attachment - so even if it's converted to PDF
    format, it will still be named .doc in the sanitized message.

    I don't have time to hack up Anomy to solve this problem at the
    moment, but if any of you are interested in taking a stab at the
    problem (at least now you know what needs to be done!) I'd be happy
    to review patches and integrate any which seem reasonably well
    written. :-)

    (Or, you can just be patient and wait for me to revisit this topic
     sometime this summer or next fall when features like that come
     closer to the top of my TODO list here at work.)

     41479@xyz.molar.is                -><-              http://bre.klaki.net/

    Check out my open-source email sanitizer: http://mailtools.anomy.net/ Spammers, please send plenty of email to: 41562@xyz.molar.is

    hosted by molar.is