anomy-list

outgoing email scanning

From: Noel Clarkson (26091@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Mon 10 Dec 2001 - 00:45:47 UTC

    Hi there,

    We have been scanning incomming email for a while which has been working
    great and thought that we were pretty well covered as far as viruses go.
     Then the other day we found that a virus had been on one of our
    computers for a few months (we do have virus scanners installed locally
    but the updates weren't working and the user had been too busy to tell
    us that she was getting an error when she tried to update - you can only
    try!) and so we thought about it and realised that if people browse the
    web and use a web based mailer then we have a problem there.

    Anyway, as a result of this, scanning outgoing email has become more of
    an issue for us and so I went through the docs looking to se if it could
    be done with Anomy and saw the section on sendmail saying that there
    might be a description soon about using procmail to scan outgoing mail
    so that it bounces mail back.

    So I guess I'm wondering if this is likely in the near future, or if it
    is possible now and just a matter of nutting out how to do it.

    Thanks for any comments or pointers.

    cheers,

    noel

    hosted by molar.is