anomy-list

MS Documents getting mangled

From: Harold Paulson (24572@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Thu 18 Oct 2001 - 19:42:02 UTC

    Hi,

    Seems like MS attachments are occasionally, but not consistently,
    getting mangled. Some spammer just sent me 5 copies of the same Word
    document, however, two of them were mangled, and the others not.
    This is what was in the sanitizer log file:

    00099 Failed to create temporary file for scanning attachment!
    00099 Enforced policy: mangle (attachment CV_Stephane_Legendre_2.2.doc)
    00099 Replaced MIME type:
    >>application/octet-stream<<
    with >>application/SUSPICIOUS-ATTACHMENT-99<<
    [ score: 1 ]
    00099 Rewrote filename:
    >>CV_Stephane_Legendre_2.2.doc<<
    as >>BLACKLISTED.SUSPICIOUS-ATTACHMENT-99<<

    I have to assume it is some sort of resource problem, but there is
    plenty of disk, CPU and RAM to go around.

    This is me:

            FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE
            Sendmail 8.11.3
            Procmail 3.22