anomy-list

Here's an odd issue in GroupWise...

From: Sterling Hanenkamp (22827@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Wed 26 Sep 2001 - 19:04:23 UTC

    This is unrelated to my work on an alternative to sanitizer.pl. I'm not sure if this is an issue that Sanitizer would be interested in knowing about. It's one that I can't even find mentioned in any TIDs on Novell's web site, but if an RFC822 formatted email comes in to GroupWise and lacks the Subject: header entirely, then mail filter rules will not work on it. This is really irritating to me because I have some emails forwarded to my email address about 12 times a day that arrive without Subject: lines from one client in particular and have to manually delete or file this messages *every* day.

    Anyway, I can imagine the Subject: and other fields (such as Message-Id:) causing some confusion to agents when these fields are absent. Would it be reasonable for Sanitizer to check these fields and then generate an appropriate field if not found--such as "(no subject)" for the Subject:. I may add this to my evps.pl replacement for sanitizer.pl just to help alleviate some of my own irritation!

    Anyway, just an idea.

    Cheers,
    Sterling

    --