anomy-list

Binhex

From: Bjarni R. Einarsson (19805@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Tue 04 Sep 2001 - 20:14:56 UTC

    On 2001-09-04, 14:52:07 (-0500), John Rowan Littell wrote:
    > Along the lines of custom extensions, I've been running anomy fairly
    > happily for a couple of weeks, and most of the problems we're having
    > are related to BinHex format attachments. I'm considering writing a
    > BinHex decoder that could either save the attachment in its original
    > format or keep it in BinHex and keep the MIME type the same. Do you
    > have any pointers on where to start banging to insert this kind of a
    > function?

    Is binhex generally used as an alternate transfer encoding within
    MIME, or is it more like uuencoded stuff, embedded within text
    attachments?

    Either way, my first impression is that it should definately go
    into MIMEStream.pm, in some similar way as Base64, Quoted-Printable
    and UUencode are handled. But, according to:

      http://www.natural-innovations.com/boo/binhex.html

    the binhex attachments contains more than just plain data - they
    also contain metadata (filenames etc.) which it isn't quite clear
    what the Sanitizer should do with: ignore it or sanitize it?

    I haven't looked at the format closely, so I can't tell whether
    binhex is as much of a headache as TNEF. But, there appears to be
    a CPAN module, "Convert::BinHex" which might provide a good basis
    for work on the problem.

    Note though that I came to the conclusion that Convert::TNEF wasn't
    suitable for the Sanitizer, since it would only allow unpacking,
    not the seamless "editing" of content that I'm trying to achieve
    with the Sanitizer...

     19805@xyz.molar.is                -><-              http://bre.klaki.net/

    Check out my open-source email sanitizer: http://mailtools.anomy.net/

    hosted by molar.is